Install Microsoft SQL Express 2005 Database Engine on Windows XP.
These instructions are to install the Microsoft SQL Express 2005 Database Engine (featured with Windows 7/Vista on Windows XP. This would be required if you ran out of space on your database (XP SQL Engine has a 2GB file size limit) or if your previous server was Vista/7 but your new server is XP (which is not recommended).
Vista/7 on your ChiroPulse Server PC (or stand-alone) uses an updated Microsoft SQL Data engine than the typical XP install. When reinstalling ChiroPulse on the XP SERVER with a Vista/7 database you must follow the Vista/Windows7 installation routines (download). This is necessary since your database is in this Microsoft SQL format (XP installs the Microsoft SQL 2000 MSDE Engine and this cannot read the database from SQL Express 2005).
important note – if you are running Windows XP and have Microsoft MSDE2000 installed you should backup your ChiroPulsedbMaster database then use Control Panel… Add/Remove Programs to remove “Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine (CHIROPULSE)” prior to installing SQL2005.
When installing the Vista/7 Server Microsoft Database Engine you must have Microsoft dotnet v2 installed on your PC. This is installed with optional Windows updates or you can download the file dotnetfx.exe and install that first.
After installing Microsoft SQL Express Data Engine (preferably before ChiroPulse Server Tools) you must run this utility sql2005xp.exe and follow the instructions outlined. This will allow Windows XP to have the necessary permissions to control your database (write, attach, backup, etc.)
Quick Recap for Installing MS SQL Engine 2005 on XP
- If the SQL Engine will not install you must install dotnetfx.exe from the attachment here (or to install from microsoft.com click here)
- Install Microsoft SQL Express (from the Vista install but on Windows XP server)
- Run the sql2005xp.exe setup utility to allow Windows XP to properly control the SQL data engine
- Install ChiroPulse Server. If previously installed you can now attach your database.
- Once ChiroPulseDbMaster is installed/attached you can use the RESTORE utility to have your office database available!